This Midwifery Practice Group is bound by law and professional ethics to safeguard your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information.
- Collecting only the information that may be necessary for your care;
- Keeping accurate and up-to-date records;
- Safeguarding the medical records in our possession;
- Sharing information with other health-care providers and organizations on a “need-to-know” basis where required for your health care;
- Disclosing information to third parties only with your express consent, or as permitted or required by law;
- Retaining/destroying records in accordance with the law;
- Complying with legal and regulatory requirements; and
- Fulfilling other purposes permitted or required by law.
Your request for care implies consent for our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for purposes related to your care as noted above. All other purposes would require your express consent.
We may communicate or consult about your health care with your health care providers including viewing necessary information about your health care through electronic medical information systems. If you would like more information about the electronic medical information systems, please speak with your healthcare provider or our privacy contact.
You have the right to withhold or withdraw your consent to disclose personal health information. You will be required to sign the appropriate form which will be forwarded to the privacy contact.
You have the right at any time to withhold or withdraw your consent to disclose personal health. You have the right to see your records. You may also obtain copies of your records – please speak with your midwife.
Please speak to your midwife if you have any concerns about the accuracy of your records.
The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario is responsible for making sure that privacy law is followed. For more information about your privacy rights, or if you are not able to resolve a problem directly with our facility and wish to make a complaint, contact: Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario, 2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400, Toronto, Ontario, M4W 1A8; Toll Free: 1-800-387-0073; www.ipc.on.ca.
Last modified on the 14th day of February, 2019